Tuesday, December 28, 2010

All of me...


In mid-September 2010, I felt I had to start spending time on me. My weight was out of hand and I was beginning to really believe and accept that I had food addictions. My body was sending out messages that I couldn't ignore. So, I researched weight loss centers and visited even more websites. I needed one that would be healthy, but could also produce immediate results - I needed to be held accountable - but needed counseling with the program and I wanted it one-on-one - not in a group. If I was going to stay with it, it had to be quick and easy and it had to have a maintenance program that would help me adjust during and after the weight loss too. Memberships were expensive but so are medications and threats to my well-being and health. God help me, I was overwhelmed with information! I had been down this road SO many times in my life that my mantra is from a Japanese proverb that says something like "fall down seven times, get up eight". That's how it all started.

Today, I weighed in 30 pounds lighter than I did in mid-Sept. It's hard, it's gratifying, it's exciting, it's tiring, frustrating, scary - at times even depressing. I need to make a conscious effort to look only at today, this hour. If I don't, I am easily overwhelmed at the thought of losing 100 pounds.

I rewarded myself for my first 25 lb loss with a set of artificial nails. They are beautiful and very practical this time of year - they protect my finger tips and keep my skin softer, and my thumbs don't crack and bleed. I am enjoying them and they constantly remind me that I can do this.

I have very supportive family too. Two sons, daughter-in-law, grandchildren, five sisters, parents, sister-in-laws, co-workers and my Medifast counselors - but most of all - my beloved husband. He puts up with so much, gives so much and asks so little. I am truly blessed. Thank you God for my blessings.

Today was a little tough, red licorice sitting out at work, next to chocolate and cookies. Free for the picking up and our enjoyment. Well, I gave in to a couple of the licorice pieces. Finally I had to ask myself, what am I getting out of this? Picture this plastered to my backside...I'm getting a chance of gaining more weight and it's so hard to take off. I'm backsliding. I quit the snacking. Wrong snack, so I grabbed a glass of water instead and went for a walk.

And so it goes...one day at a time, one hour at a time...slip slide and get back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment